Beards vs No Beards – What Science, Women, and Barbers Say About It
Beard vs no beard? – That’s the question.
If you are at a point where you are not sure whether to grow facial hairs or stay clean-shaven, don’t fret.
I have a few tips and answers that can help you make the right decision.
In this post, I am going to cover:
- What science says about men’s facial hairs
- Whether women love facial hair
- The pros and cons of growing a beard and shaving clean
- How to decide whether to be clean–shaven or grow a beard
- Whether there are jobs that don’t allow beard and,
- Why some men can’t grow a beard
If so, let’s get down to the juicy bits…
What Does Science Say About Beard?
Science shows that facial hair come with benefits.
One research study shows that beards are very effective at protecting facial skin from harmful UV rays that can cause cancer.
This protection is even better when coupled with sunscreen on all the exposed parts.
Science shows that society has a better perception of gents with facial hair, especially women. Guys with facial hair are perceived as more attractive, mature, masculine, and manly.
This only applies to a well-maintained and properly styled beard.
When it comes to the downsides, several research studies show that sometimes beards can be dirtier than a dog’s fur.
This is nothing to worry about if you have a thorough cleaning and maintenance routine.
Do Women Prefer Men With Facial Hair?
It is a fact:
Deciding to grow or to keep a clean-shaven look is often a personal decision.
However, it is very common for men in the dating scene to wonder whether women will like their facial hair.
In many dating forums, you will find dudes asking for advice on what photo to include on their dating profile. A good number of these requests involve choosing between a clean-shaven face or a bearded look.
The big question is; are women attracted to bearded men?
Yes, women like beards but not all of them.
The interesting thing is that those who are not attracted to beards (prefer a clean-shaven guy) usually assume that beards are dirty.
Even homosexual men (not all, but a good number) claim men with facial hair are more masculine.
The percentage of women who are attracted to beards changes depending on age bracket, ethnicity, and beard style.
Women’s love or hate for a beard is based on their mating preferences and perception.
That’s why some women say guys with facial hair are more patient; since growing a beard takes time, effort, and patience.
A bearded look is not enough to make you irresistible to women, you have to make sure you are a complete package.
You know what I mean, don’t you?
What Are the Benefits And Downsides Of Having A Beard?
Another way to decide on whether you should grow a beard is to consider the benefits and downsides.
Here is what you should know:
Benefits Of Having A Beard
- During winter, facial hairs provide a great layer of protection against cold and wind; hence, keeping you warm.
- Beards protect the skin from harmful UV rays that can cause cancer. Although, the amount of protection depends on beard length and volume.
- When styled properly a beard will transform your facial look. You can also use your mane to hide facial imperfections, such as scars and blemishes.
- Facial hairs save you from the inconveniences of shaving daily and razor burns.
- Styling a beard takes less time than shaving.
- It makes men appear more mature, intelligent, and masculine.
- Bearded men are perceived as older and wiser. You won’t be asked to produce your ID at the club.
- Flannel shirts will look good on you.
- It’s a great hobby and can be something to talk about with other men.
Cons Of Growing and Maintaining A Beard
- Growing, styling, and maintaining a beard requires time and patience.
- Facial hairs attract a lot of dirt, dust, debris, and food.
- Beards can be a notorious breeding ground for germs and bacteria such as staphylococcus and streptococcus.
- Styling products such as shampoo, oils, balms, and tools such as clippers are expensive
- The facial hair growth journey can be challenging. Be prepared for patchy growth, cowlicks, tangles, and ingrown hairs.
- If you are not washing or taking proper care of the beard you can develop dandruff, acne, and product buildup.
- During the early stage, facial hairs are usually very itchy.
- There are jobs that don’t allow beards, for instance, the military and food processing industries.
- If the mustache is long, you will probably find some hair in your mouth when eating.
- When kissing or making out with your partner, some strands may get into their nose. There is also a possibility of them developing beard rash.
While these cons seem many, you can’t compare them with the transformation that a beard gives a man.
What Are the Benefits And Downsides Of Clean Shaving?
When it comes to clean shaving, you also get to enjoy a few pros as well as have to deal with several cons.
Benefits Of A Clean-Shaven Face
- You will most likely look younger than you are. This is a pro if that is what you are looking for.
- Some people consider a clean-shaven man to be cleaner and more focused.
- It is easier to exfoliate the skin to remove dead skin since the skin isn’t covered.
- It is easier to shave compared to growing a beard.
- Great for those who can’t grow a full beard.
- It is more formal and a great choice for job seekers.
Cons Of a Clean-Shaven Face
- As compared to having facial hair, you will feel colder in winter and when it’s windy.
- The skin can get irritated because of the frequent shaving.
- Some people can consider you less manly or masculine.
- There is nothing exciting about shaving every morning.
- Without using sunscreen, your chin may be exposed to harmful UV rays.
Will A Beard Look Good on You?
Beards are not for everyone. Some men look great with clean-shaven faces.
Before deciding on whether to grow a beard or not, seek a second opinion.
For this, it’s wise to first grow a beard then assess how you look. Make sure you take a photo before growing a beard.
One good place to seek an opinion is Reddit. The community will help you decide whether you look better with a beard or not.
The best thing about beard forums is that you can be sure the advice is mostly genuine.
Another great place to get a second opinion is asking a professional stylist. They will also help you in deciding on the best style for your beard if you decide to grow one.
You can also ask your family members, spouse, or friends.
At the end of the day, this decision is personal.
You should consider what science says, what women think, and what a professional stylist recommends.
But make your own decisions.
That is It for this topic.
Deciding on beard vs no beard; i.e. whether to grow a beard or keep a clean-shaven face is not hard.
Just start by considering the benefits and downsides of each and see what works for you. You can also ask for a second opinion from friends, colleagues, and online beard forums before making the decision.
I’d love to hear from you. Leave your thoughts in the comment section below