Have you ever wondered:
How much do barbers make per day or month or year?
Well, a lot of people don’t know this but the Personal Care Industry is often quite rewarding.
Not only do you get to help people look their best but also earn a decent living in the process.
Every now and then, I often get asked about how much barbers make by curious minds and people considering to venture into our profession.
If you are one of them, this post will give you all the information about barber salary with tips you are looking for.
So, enjoy your reading…
How Much Do Barbers Make A Year?
Can you take a guess?
Twenty? Thirty? Fifty? Or even a hundred thousand dollars?
Well, here’s a fun fact about barber salary California…
According to indeed, the average annual salary of a barber in the State of California is a whopping $111,779.
I did tell you you’d be surprised.
Yes, you can make quite a lot as a professional barber. And this is probably why new barbershops are popping up every day.
In fact, this business is one of the fastest-growing retail avenues in the U.S.
Don’t get me wrong…
Not all barbers make $100K annually (that is just what most barbers make in California).
In fact, the national annual average barber salary in 2019 stood at $27,000. And things are different as you move from state to state.
The answer to “how much do barbers make in Florida?” (answer: $47,377) will be different from the answer to “how much do barbers make in Louisiana?” (answer: $30,238).
A Quick Q&A for All Averages in the Industry
1. How much do barbers make per cut?
The national average price of a haircut stands at $28. However, a haircut in the U.S. can cost between $10 and $100. It all depends on the city and hairstyle.
2. How much do barbers make an hour?
This mostly depends on how fast you are at cutting hair. However, the hourly income for most barbers ranges between $13 and $20.
3. How much do barbers make a month?
The average monthly salary for most American barbers ranges between $2,000 and $9,000. However, a lot of them make around $3,500.
4. Lastly, how much does a barber make a day?
Well, if you take $13 (hourly rate) and multiply it by about 10 hours of work, a barber can make at least $130 per day. And that’s excluding other shop income streams.
A Few Factors That Determine Barber Shop Owner Salary 2020
I’m sure you are wondering: how can a barber’s salary get to $100K with all the barber shop monthly expenses one has to tend to?
The most important thing you need to know is that a barber’s income is dependent on a number of things including:
- The Location of their Barbershop – Barbershops in big cities, CBDs, and posh neighborhoods often make more because their service fees are often higher. Therefore, finding a strategic location for your shop is essential if you are hoping on charging your clients an above-average fee.
- Your Target Demographic – Here, you want to answer this question; how much can your clients pay for haircuts without feeling like they were ripped off. The financial ability of your clients will greatly determine how much you can charge them for your services. Note that, wrong pricing can cost you a lot in the long run.
- The Quality of Services Offered – Obviously, Professional barbers earn more than industry newcomers. Why? Well, more experience leads to better quality and value of services. Also, increasing the number of services you offer can be a great way to boost your income.
With that in mind, you should note that only about 10% of barbers earn between $50,000 and $100,000.
But, how much you earn as a barber will depend on the choices you make on the factors discussed above.
Before I wrap up this post on how much do barbers get paid, there’s one more thing I’d like to address.
How to Increase Your Income as a Barber?
I know you might be wondering about how to make 100k as a barber?
Yes! It is possible.
But you’ll have to employ a few smart strategies to increase your income as a barber. Below are five quick tips on what you can do to increase your income:
- Offer Value-Additive Services like facial and eyebrow waxing.
- Cross-sell Hair Products and Barbering Merchandise like shampoos, hair conditioners, and beard kits.
- Upsell Your Services by offering them in value-rich packages/bundles.
- Building a reputation by offering high-quality haircuts.
- Get on social media, market your business, offer barbering tutorials – anything to put your brand out there.
- Offering discounts to clients who bring in new clients.
And there you have it – everything you need to know about how much does a barber earn.
I told you you’d be surprised.
Anyway, have I left out anything? Or is there something you’d like to add?
Let me know in the comments section below. I’d love to hear your thoughts on this.