A short boxed beard is a facial hairstyle that features a thick beard that is slightly short in length. It’s often neatly groomed and contoured. This style is great for men who want a full beard but without the ruggedness and volume of a long beard.
Ideal Face Shapes: Oblong, Heart, Triangle, Diamond, and Round
Ideal Beard Types: All
- The best length of any short boxed beard style is between 1/2 and 3/4 inches
- Always keep the edges neatly trimmed and contoured
- Keep a lower check line if you want to accentuate the cheekbones
5 Different Short Boxed Beard Styles
1. High Boxed Beard
A high boxed beard style is when the cheek line is left where it naturally grows for a more natural look. This style is best for men with thick and dense facial hairs.
2. Low Boxed Beard
A low boxed facial hairstyle has the cheek line lower than its natural position. To ensure it does not look strange, have a full beard hair length of between 1 and 1.5 inches from the natural cheek line.
A low cheek line is best for men with patchy facial hair on the cheeks and those with diamond and heart-shaped faces.
3. Classical Short Boxed Beard Style
This is a short boxed beard with facial hairs trimmed down to 1/2 inch in length with a clean high or low cheek line. Looks great on men with longer scalp hair and a full beard.
4. Medium Boxed Beard
This is a boxed beard style similar to the classic style, but the chin hair is longer at about 2inches. The style is excellent for those looking for a style to make their face look elongated.
5. Long Boxed Beard
Just like the medium boxed beard, this style has longer chin hairs of up to 4 inches. It is great for those who want a boxed style with some length at the chin. It is also great for round faces to add some height.
How To Cut, Style, and Maintain a Short Boxed Beard Style?
1. Grow Your Facial Hairs
The first thing you want to do is let your facial hair grow out; to give you sufficient length and volume to work with.
This will take between 2 and 4 months considering facial hairs grow at a rate of 1/3 to 1/2 inch a month.
Apart from the gain in length, this will let you observe how your facial hairs grow; especially, around the cheek and jaw lines.
2. Get the Right Tools and Products
The next thing is to get the right tools for the job. These include:
- Beard trimmer
- Safety razor
- Pair of scissors
- Beard comb and brush
- Some beard oil and balm
- A beard shaving tool (optional)
3. Map Your Neck and Cheek Lines
Before you get to trimming and edging your beard, there are a few decisions to make:
- Do you want a low or high boxed beard? This is deciding whether you want the cheek line in its original place or a bit lower. For instance, if you have a diamond-shaped face, a low cheek line will present a sharp contrast. It is also great for round face shapes because it helps to define the soft features; while providing a simple fix for those with patchy cheek hairs.
- The second thing to do is to mark your neck and cheek lines. The neckline should be 1.5 inches above Adam’s apple, extending on both sides of the jaw. Therefore, trim all the hairs below this line.
4. Trim Your Facials Hairs
Start by washing and towel drying the beard. Use a comb to untangle the hairs and remove knots.
Then pick either #3 or #4 blade guard comb and attach it to the beard trimmer. Proceed to trim the facial hairs until you have a uniform finish.
5. Define and Style The Facial Hair Shape
Start by trimming the edges of the sideburns and neckline.
To make it easier to edge the cheek lines, mustache, and neckline, you can use a beard shaping tool to map the edges.
Finally, shave all hairs below the neckline that you mapped to create your short boxed beard.
6. Rinse, Dry, And Moisturize The Face
If you are satisfied with the new look, wash your face and towel dry. Then, you can apply beard oil or balm to keep your whiskers soft and moisturized.
A short boxed beard is a smart option for men looking for the look of a full beard without volume. It’s very stylish and great for the cooperate world.
Plus, you can experiment with different hair lengths and cheek lines to see what facial hair style suits you best.
Feel free to leave questions and comments below.
Frequently Asked Questions About Short Boxed Beard
This style is great for men who love the look of a thick beard without the volume and ruggedness of a long beard. This style is also referred to as cooperate beard style as its widely acceptable in and out of the office.
A short boxed beard goes well with almost every face shape. An oblong face is a good example as it does not add too much length. For a round face shape, this style makes your face look a bit square. And the low cheek line provides extra definition. If you have a triangle face shape, a short boxed beard style with a high cheek line helps redistribute the jawline.